Horizon Leadership Program Scholarship
As a collaborative effort between Huntington University and Youth for Christ, USA, the Horizon Leadership Program is designed to attract and retain students of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds by providing educational and ministry opportunities.
- Interested and qualified applicants must first submit an application for admission to Huntington University in Huntington, Indiana by January 30.
- Applicants must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online by March 1.
- After completing the Huntington University application for admission you will receive a username and password that you can use to login and complete the Horizon Leader Scholarship application by January 30.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply?
To be eligible for this scholarship students must be an ethnic minority and meet the following requirements: 2.9 GPA; 19ACT/900 SAT; involvement or affiliation with Youth for Christ; other leadership involvement must be evident through extra-curricular activities.
Does my student have to be a City Life student?
No! The Horizon Leadership Program is open to all ethnic minority students who have involvement or affiliation with for Youth for Christ.
Is the scholarship based on need?
The awarding of the Horizon Leader Scholarship is based upon an ethnic minority student’s academic achievements and proven leadership abilities. While it’s not a need based scholarship, applicants are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ by March 1.
When is the deadline to apply for the scholarship?
Applicants need to submit an application to Huntington University and the Horizon Leadership Program by no later than January 30.
What should a YFC staff do first if they have a student who might be interested?
There are a few steps that a staff can take to best help his/her student who may be interested in the program.
- Have the student complete all the necessary online applications by the indicated deadlines.
What is the amount of the scholarship?
The scholarship covers all fees associated with tuition and housing for 5 years. The scholarship is a combination of federal, state and institution funds. Books, health insurance (if not covered by your parents), course and lab fees, parking, private music lesson and other ancillary costs are not covered by the scholarship. These will be outlined in your billing statement or discussed with your admissions counselor.
Why is the scholarship up to 5 years?
The scholarship provides coverage for up to 5 years to provide students with a college experience in which they will have opportunities to engage the classroom, culture and community of Huntington University at a pace that will best position them to achieve academic excellence and leadership development.
How does a winning scholar stay connected to the mission of YFC during their time at Huntington University?
While at Huntington University, students will be given opportunities to volunteer at local and regional YFC sites.
What is the process of selecting the scholarship recipients?
The process of selecting the scholarship recipients is divided into two phases.
PHASE I – APPLICATION
- Applicants complete and submit the Huntington University application, Horizon Leader application and FAFSA by the specified deadlines.
- Semifinalists are selected and invited to campus to participate in Phase II.
PHASE II – CAMPUS EVENT
- Semifinalists are invited to campus to participate in a campus tour, chapel service, meeting with a faculty member, an interview with the scholarship selection committee.
- 6 finalists are selected and notified via phone and an official letter.