Urban Youth Ministry Certificate Program
A Partnership between YFC’s City Life
and the Fuller Youth Institute
What is the goal of the Urban Youth Ministry Certificate/Credential?
The goal of the Urban Youth Ministry Certificate/Credential is to increase the capacity to spread the gospel to youth in urban settings by training youth workers in personal and ministry skills needed for effective long-term ministry. This unique program offered by the Fuller Youth Institute draws from the expertise of Fuller’s Schools of Theology, Psychology and Intercultural Studies to offer academic training that can be completed with a minimum of time away from ministry commitments.
How does the program fit into the Youth for Christ Leadership Blueprint?
The Urban Youth Ministry Certificate is recognized as fulfillment of Youth for Christ's Leadership Blueprint requirements for the duration of the two year program. Participation in the program and completion of the Urban Youth Ministry Certificate will meet the training obligations of those staff who possess ministry credentials for their next two consecutive three year cycles under the designation of "approved electives." Please contact National City Life Director, Lisa Gintz, with further questions.
What ministry skills will I learn?
Relying heavily on input from some of the best urban youth leaders around the country, the curriculum has been designed to help you learn the following skills:
“The program was very relevant, and made me think more holistically in our ministry approach. It has really been practical and has allowed me to step outside of my box and do more than I ever imagined for my ministry.” Theresa Willis YFC, Mid-Cities Campus Ministry Compton, CA
Theology and Philosophy
- A theological method to apply to daily life and urban youth ministry
- Understanding multicultural issues, racial reconciliation, and ministry
Leadership and Management
- Developing and understanding organizational structure, communicating vision and creating strategic plans
- Fundraising and resource development
Transformational Urban Youth Ministry
- Exegeting your context, the city
- Networking with other church and para-church ministries in your city
- Learning to walk with Christ in the midst of suffering
- Maintaining the health and balance of the urban youth worker and developing boundaries
- There will be four 2-unit practica, each of which will connect and help reinforce and apply the content of the above 4 courses and completed with a mentor.
When do I start and when will I finish?
The application deadline for the Spring 2012 cohort is January 13, 2012.
In order to create as relational a curriculum as possible, students in the Certificate and Credential of Urban Youth Ministry experience the courses as a cohort. The certificate program is two years and runs from Spring 2012-Winter 2014. All courses except the two one-week intensives are done in the youth worker’s own home and community.
Thanks to extensive fundraising efforts, students receive a scholarship for 50% of overall tuition costs, or about $4,260.00 of the overall $8,520.00 cost.
For more information: